Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Preparations

The time is fast approaching. What started so many months ago is coming to fruition in just 2 short days. When I purchased these tickets to Maui back in May, October seemed so far away. Almost unbearably far away. But with wedding plans, summer vacations, parenting and family issues, as well as my looming unemployment, the time went by much faster than a sane person could ever imagine. And now, that moment is here.

I took full advantage of the time off from work, to ensure that my family and I have a fabulous vacation. Hours upon hours of Internet research. I have read every review of every restaurant, recreation activity, beach, road, grocery store, you name it, I have researched it. Trip Advisor, Yelp, Google, Igougo, all of these sites, plus quite a few more, helped me put together an itinerary full of first class events. I know where the best shave ice is. I know which milepost to turn off of to get to amazing waterfalls. I know which place rents the best snorkel gear. And every meal, from breakfast to dinner, to happy hours, all of the best places have been reviewed and noted. Does this take some of the fun out of vacationing? Some may say that half the fun of a vacation is the exploration, the chance taking. Is that true? I think there is a point to that argument. After all, some of the best memories have involved finding a off the beaten path restaurant in a new city. Like the Pink Door in Seattle. Down an alleyway, hidden from all the crazy of the nearby Pike Place Market.

However when money is tight, and vacationing with the entire family is limited to one time a year, if even that, taking chances that may or may not end in mediocrity does not seem like a smart play. Taking a family of 4 to a restaurant, only to find out that portions are tiny, flavors are runny, and the service poor, well that sucks. With all of the information that is available to people today, there is not one excuse for having a poor vacation experience. With all of the information available, businesses are even more accountable for the services they provide. After all, who wants millions of people to read a bad review? And believe me, there are a lot of those types of reviews out there.

So I did the research. I saved the links of the great ones. I wrote down directions, menu options and prices of some of the best places on the island. And because I benefited so much from others on the Internet, I am going to blog this vacation as best as possible, so that others, perhaps families, will be able to have the best vacation possible. I know I plan on just that for my family and I. Stay tuned for what comes next......

No comments:

Post a Comment